Thursday 8 April 2010

Telling lies - when is it OK?

Thursday, 8th April, 2010

When I was a child, I was bought up to believe that lying about something was morally wrong. Therefore, as a result, if ever I did tell the odd lie, I felt so bad about it afterwards (especially if I got found out) that in later life, I have always tried to be as honest as possible.

However, I do not consider all forms of deception to be bad. When it is for the good of others and provides some sort of beneficial effect, then, as far as I'm concerned, it is perfectly legitimate and justified. Slightly kinder comments about one's apprearance, for instance, or someone's appalling taste in clothes - this type of lying is merely sparing the recipient from a certain degree of unnecessary distress.

Lying can also be the provider of something which is extremely positive. The sories surrounding Father Christmas, for example, provides a delightful contribution to childhood and much enjoyment to all concerned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus. Every Christmas Eve, I used to tell my children that we needed to leave Santa a mince pie, drop of brandy AND the litter tray for Rhudolph (just in case he needed it - afterall, the weather was very cold!). It was a magical experience to see their faces light up each year, and well worth the pack of lies that accompanied it! It has since given my children much pleasure now that they are older, as well, in the form of happy memories. Lots of stories of this kind are told with the intention of creating pleasure and happiness - they are not necessarily true, but in this sense, it doesn't matter.

Conclusion? ...Not all lies are bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment